Monday, November 4, 2013

Learning to Exercise


Exercising does not come naturally to most of us. A very subjective estimate may go like this-
-          - 90% never exercised and believe they do not need to;
-          - 5% think only overweight needs to exercise;
-         -  of the remaining 5% less than 1% is actually able to exercise and sustain it over a long period of time.

Exercising is a lifestyle issue and not a stop-gap arrangement as if under some medication to get desired results. Empirical research has always proved that optimal level of exercising strengthens both internal and external organs of human body. But despite all what is written, read and understood very few of us are able to introduce exercise as a permanent change in their lifestyle.

Last year, I began exercising after a gap of some 15 years. In the interim, I had several failed attempts to introduce it permanently into my lifest with efforts lasting maximum 3-4 months. When I tried again in March 2012, I was not sure of being successful. I started off with a very light exercise regime so that I could still be full of energy to work for 12 hours every day. The schedule I followed was a self-developed one that gave me comfort and allowed my body to adjust to exercising. Coupled with some diet restrictions I was able to get desired results. My weight reduced by 15 kgs, waist shrunk by 3 inches, stamina increased to a level that from being out of breath ascending few stairs, I could run at 9km/hr for min of 45 minutes with ease.

Post 12 months of exercising for atleast 5 days a week, I was back to having a diet which was twice was what I ate in last two years. Once we attain the permanent change- which in my opinion is possible after exercising regularly for a min of 12 months- diet plays an important role to ensure that your body is not devoid of minerals and vitamins in requisite quantity. In other words, no such diet control from quantity perspective is applicable. It should find balance with the quantum of exercise we do.

My schedule was also put to test accidentally by my friend who was overweight (by 30 kgs) and was worried when Doctors he visited were threatening to put him on medication- 1 tablet for cholesterol, 1 for blood pressure control and a couple more for other associated problems. It is not less than a shock for anyone to hear from a Doctor that he/she is ill. Our whole approach to our bodies (that is usually least cared for) becomes very scientific. We immediately get concerned about what we eat, how much we work and the rest we get. Most of us usually end-up blaming polluted food we get to eat and not the choices we make to eat. Blame our work schedule for strain and inappropriate sleep. But that is not the case always. Fault lies with us and we are blame for the problem at hand.


In first month, my friend called me to say that he had followed my schedule and was able to reduce his weight by 7 kgs and as per Doctors he should continue to build on the new exercise regime. My friend was amongst those who had not exercised before and was settling down comfortably into the exercise regime developed. What he followed is presented below for the benefit of all others. I suggest consult your Doctor with the schedule below, if in case you intend to follow, and then go ahead only when he confirms it to you. 





No comments:

Post a Comment